Over the last few months a new feminist project has been occupying a small group of feminist historians at the University of Sussex. #MorethanAssistants is inspired by the history of feminist interventions in Historical practice.
We are concerned with
- The burden of responsibility on those few female figures who manage to earn a space in the public realm.
- The disproportionate shaming of young women for unruly behaviour.
- The power of playful, messy, feminism.
- The importance of carrying our sisterhood with us, whether physically, virtually or emotionally
- The power of being in the wrong place.
You can hear more about the assistants on this PRBH radio interview from 1.07 to 1.31
#MoreThanAssistants cheerlead other feminists
#MoreThanAssistants intervene in media narratives
#MoreThanAssistants take History seriously
#MoreThanAssistants are Cultural Activists
#MoreThanAssistants work collaboratively
#MoreThanAssistants are intergenerational feminists
#MoreThanAssistants know that pleasure is political
#MoreThanAssistants recognises all of women’s labour – public, waged and unwaged, emotional, domestic and we value the currency of our own pleasure
(with thanks to our collaborator Molly Butterworth for capturing River’s weekend)